Xbox head Phil Spencer has responded to PlayStation’s extremely strong concerns about what could happen if Call of Duty becomes exclusive to the Microsoft-owned platform. In case you somehow missed it, Microsoft announced that it would acquire Activision for nearly $70 billion, meaning it would take on franchises like Call of Duty as its proprietary titles. It’s the biggest deal in gaming history, one that’s gotten tons of scrutiny from other platform holders, players, and regulators. As the deal progresses through regulatory bodies, a number of concerns have been raised, including about the future of Call of Duty.
Earlier this month, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan raised concerns about what would happen after the Sony platform lost its Call of Duty deal in three years, which Xbox will honor. . Ryan called Microsoft’s proposal “inadequate” and certainly approached the subject with some frustration. Now, Xbox boss Phil Spencer is responding via an interview with CNBC and reaffirmed that Microsoft plans to continue releasing Call of Duty on PlayStation. Spencer also noted that while exclusive games are part of Xbox, the company wants to make sure more gamers than ever can play through the PC versions and even allowing gamers to play games through a web browser through to the cloud.
“I can’t say a ton about where we are on regulation just because of the mechanism it’s about,” Spencer said. “I have publicly announced to our fans and customers, and therein lies our strongest commitment, that we expect us to continue shipping Call of Duty to PlayStation and other places where people see it, and hopefully we will expand the places where people play all of our games. That was our goal. We put the player at the center and through technologies like cloud, day and date of shipping to PC, we hope the games we make will be played by more players. That’s our goal with every game we play today.”
Box #Call of Duty come between a $75 billion deal being closed for $MSFT & $ATVI? @XboxP3 exposes the case of the players on @CNBCi – with $SONY suggesting the players could lose if the deal goes through…. #COD #Game #ps #xbox @asiasquawkbox pic.twitter.com/BjpHb5JUIt
— Will Koulouris (@WillKoulouris) September 15, 2022
Of course, unless contractually obligated to do otherwise, Microsoft would be free to make Call of Duty a complete Xbox exclusive if it really wanted to. As it stands, Spencer says he plans to keep it on PlayStation for the foreseeable future and given Minecraft stayed that way, it’s not hard to believe. Only time will tell if things change, but at the moment we can only base what will happen on what Phil Spencer says since only he really knows.
What do you think will happen to Call of Duty in the future? Let me know in the comments or contact me Twitter @Cade_Onder.