Mining and Redstone feel like two entirely separate parts of the Minecraft world. One aspect focuses on collecting resources and the other on using those collected resources with Minecraft farms and machines. But they are much more similar than you might think. A common place where they both merge is the use of minecarts. And you can’t use minecarts properly if you don’t know how to make motorized rail in Minecraft. So that’s where we come in with this in-depth guide to motorized rails. From the mechanics to the uses, we’ll cover it all in this article on the Redstone Motorized Rail. That said, let’s get started!
How to make a motorized rail in Minecraft (2022)
To make it easier for you to understand, we cover the mechanics, uses, and crafting recipe of Motorized Rail in separate sections. You can use the table below to explore each of them.
What is a Motorized Rail in Minecraft?
As the name suggests, Motorized Tracks are a block in the Minecraft track family. They are used to modify the speed of minecarts that pass over them. You can use the motorized rail to increase and decrease the speed of minecarts. We will see how to use them in a later section.
Naturally, you can find motorized rails in the mine chests that generate underground, under the overworld. You can also get other types of rails or even minecarts within the same structure. Once placed, like other tracks, you can easily break a motorized track with any tool or by hand.
Uses of a Motorized Redstone Rail
You can use a Motorized Rail in Minecraft in the following ways:
- Road: Whether enabled or not, the motorized rail still acts as a road that minecarts can travel on.
- Power increase: If the motorized rail is active when the minecart passes over it, the minecart is instantly accelerated in the direction it is moving. But it cannot increase the speed to more than 8 blocks per second.
- To break: If a moving minecart passes over an inactive motorized rail, the speed of the minecart decreases and eventually, it stops.
Items Required to Craft a Motorized Rail
You need the following items to craft a Motorized Rail using Redstone in Minecraft:
To craft a stick, you must pvertically lace two wooden planks next to each other in the crafting area. You can use any type of wood to make sticks. In the meantime, we already have a guide in place for finding Redstone Dust in Minecraft. You can use this item to locate Redstone Ore that usually generates in Overworld caves. When mined, Redstone Ore drops a piece of Redstone Dust.
Similarly, you can get gold bars by mining gold ore and then smelting it in a furnace or blast furnace. To find gold ores, use our Minecraft ore distribution guide. However, a simple life hack is to explore the badlands that have the most gold and mineshafts.
Minecraft Motorized Track Crafting Recipe
Once you’ve collected the materials, follow the steps below to craft a Motorized Rail in Minecraft:
1. First, place gold bars on the two side columns of the artisanal zone. The sides of all three rows should be completely filled, leaving the middle column empty.
2. After that, put a piece of Redstone dust in the lowest cell of the middle column. Then place the stick in the cell just above the redstone dust. This the stick must be in the center cell of the artisanal zone.
3. Voila, you have successfully made a motorized rail. It looks like regular rail but with redstone sleepers and dark yellow colored track.
How to Use a Motorized Rail in Minecraft
To understand the mechanics of a motorized rail as a boost for minecarts, let’s try using it with normal rails in a simple format:
1. First of all, place a motorized rail floor with three regular rails on each side (see diagram below). All these rails must face the same direction.
2. Next, place a lever next to the motorized rail.
3. Now, place a minecart on one edge of the row of rails. After that, swing the lever to switch on the motorized rail.
4. Next, push the minecart towards the motorized rail and watch it increase in speed. We extended the row of rails to show the impact of the boost.
Minecraft Powered Rail vs Regular Rail
To understand the impact of a motorized rail on your Minecraft builds, let’s compare a train track with a motorized rail to another row without motorized rails.
As you can see, the initial push raises the minecart to around 8 blocks. But with the help of a motorized rail, you can keep powering your minecart to go further – in multiples of 8 blocks. It acts as a second push for the minecart.
How to use the motorized rail to stop minecarts
Follow these steps to use a motorized rail as a brake that stops the minecart instead of giving it a boost:
1. First, place the Motorized Rail on the railroad where you want the Minecart to stop. Make sure the point you choose is no more than 8 blocks from where the Minecart was powered. It stops automatically after traveling nearly 8 blocks.
2. Next, make sure the powered rail is not active. When the track is inactive or off, it is brown in color and does not glow (left). There should be no redstone signal sources feeding the rail.
3. Finally, whenever an active minecart hits the inactive motorized rail, it will automatically stop. This mechanic can be used to make minecarts stop at train stations if you decide to craft one in your village.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Motorized Rail Need Redstone?
All motorized rails need Redstone to function as a boost. Without any power source, the motorized rail acts as a brake and immediately stops the minecart.
How to make a minecart track faster in Minecraft?
Using multiple sets of motorized rails can make your minecart faster indefinitely.
How many powered rails do I need to keep my minecart automatically active?
You need to place a motorized rail every block of eight to make your minecart track completely automatic.
Make and Use a Motorized Rail in Minecraft Today
Just like that, you now have one of Minecraft’s most unconventional yet useful transportation tools. You can add a motorized rail to your collection areas, common routes, and even transporters in mob and XP farms. These best Minecraft maps feature a variety of creative ways to use the Motorized Rail in the game. However, we’re more interested in what you’ll be doing with a Motorized Rail. So, share your ideas in the comments below!