Make a piston in Minecraft (2022)
We’ll cover the mechanics of a Minecraft piston first, followed by its ingredients and crafting recipe. Use the chart below to skip to the piston crafting recipe if you’re already familiar with how to use it.
What is a piston in Minecraft?
A piston in Minecraft is a movable component of Redstone. It pushes blocks, players and monsters that are right in front of it after receiving a Redstone signal. Once placed, you can break a piston with any tool, and it still drops as an item.
What blocks can a piston push?
A piston can push all monsters and players in Minecraft. But when it comes to blocks, there are a few exceptions. You cannot use a piston to push the following blocks:
Apart from these blocks, many unobtainable blocks like Bedrock and Barrier blocks also cannot be pushed using a plunger. On the other hand, there are blocks like crops in Minecraft, which can be pushed but break right away. This mechanic is important when creating a sugarcane farm in Minecraft. If you want to dig deeper, you can find the full list of incompatible blocks on the Minecraft Wiki.
Elements needed to make a piston
You need the following items to craft a piston in Minecraft:
Cobblestone is one of the easiest blocks to obtain in the world of Minecraft. Just mine a block of stone with a pickaxe (with or without enchantments). In the meantime, you will have to work a bit to get iron ingot as it is usually obtained by smelting iron ore in a furnace or blast furnace. However, you can use our Minecraft ores guide to find iron in no time.
As for wooden planks, you can place any type of wood in the crafting area to craft planks. The three planks in the piston recipe don’t even have to be the same type and can be crafted from different species of wood. The piston works the same regardless of what overworld and nether wood it is made of.
Minecraft Piston Crafting Recipe
After collecting all the necessary ingredients, you just need to combine them on a crafting table to create a piston in Minecraft. Here’s how:
1. First, fill the highest row of the crafting area with wooden planks. Planks can be made from any type of wood.
2. Next, put cobblestone blocks in the side columns middle and bottom rows as shown in the diagram here.
3. Finally, place an iron ingot in the middle cell from the middle row of the crafting table. Then put some redstone dust in the cell below. Just like that, you now have a plunger ready to go. Simply drag the item into your inventory to place it wherever you want.
How to Use a Piston in Minecraft
Using a plunger in Minecrafty is simple. Just place it next to the entity you want to push, then activate it using any Redstone component. That said, let’s try to activate a piston using a lever.
1. First, place a sturdy block that can be pushed onto any surface.
2. Then, while looking behind this placed block, place the plunger. Its wooden part must face the block you want to push.
3. Once the plunger is in place, place a lever next to the plunger or attach the lever to its back. But do not attach the lever to the side or top of the piston, because it will break when the piston moves.
4. Finally, right-click or use the secondary action key on the lever to activate it. This will activate the piston and cause it to push the block right in front of it.
Please note that when you turn off the lever, the plunger will retract, leaving the block in its new location. If you want it to pull the block instead of just pushing it, you should create a sticky piston in Minecraft instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make sticky pistons?
To craft a sticky piston, all you need to do is combine a ball of slime with a regular piston on a crafting table.
Can pistons move obsidian?
A piston can neither push nor pull obsidian.
What if there is more than one block in front of the piston?
If the block next to the main block can be pushed, the piston will eventually push them both. But if this block cannot be pushed, the piston will not work.
Can a piston push lava or water?
Interestingly, due to some weird mechanism, the piston only pushes back the fire, water, and lava source blocks. In a way, it blocks any liquid source block in front of it.
Crafting and Using a Piston in Minecraft
Whether you want to push mobs to a specific location to move blocks, you are now set with the recipe for crafting a plunger. But before you plan to use it, be sure to craft a Redstone Torch to power it. You can even activate it remotely if you know how to use redstone dust in Minecraft and can create a long circuit using redstone repeaters leading to the piston. That said, what are you planning to push with pistons in Minecraft? Tell us in the comments below!